Based in Tumu (Upper West Region), Ghana
We work to get farmers out of poverty. That’s our dream. We want to see Africa feeding the world in our lifetimes and its farmers become the guardians of one of humanity’s most precious resources: the soil. We design and sell regenerative farming inputs as a service. With this, farmers are able to grow exponentially their incomes, improve their quality of life and develop a stronger tie to their lands. We worked with a thousand farmers and generated a very solid proof of concept. Now we aim high- we want one million farmers to adopt our services within a decade. Warc has humble beginnings. We did not learn how to run a business from a book; we have real, tangible experience. Warc’s revenue has grown 50x over the last 4 years and our goal is to triple it within the next 18 months. We began with a $30,000 investment from our founders and rapidly scaled up to raise over $5,000,000 in equity, debt, and grants from angel, government, and institutional investors.
Warc’s story started in Sierra Leone, but we’ve rapidly established ourselves in Ghana, and continue to grow. We’re more than 50 people in Ghana, representing 14 different nationalities, managing two production areas in Bono East Region and in the Upper West Region. We operate across West Africa, with established agricultural production, service delivery, market linkages, and consulting operations in Sierra Leone and Ghana. In the next decade, we ambition to be present across West Africa. Help us do it!!
About the Job
Great candidates want to make an impact, and they don’t shy away from challenges! Our Service Delivery Unit (SDU) Program – the heart of the Warc business model – needs you to be part of our expansion into the Upper West Region; build the program structure and farmer network and play a key role in shaping the future of the program in this high potential growth around the region. This role is specifically for an SDU Network Coordinator to be based in our project location in Tumu, in the Upper West Region. You will work directly with our SDU Manager and lead a team of private extension officers that in turn work with thousands of farmers. You’ll get to spend your days between the office, fields, and its neighboring communities.
The main responsibilities of the SDU Network Coordinator include:
- Play a key role in on-field activities of our Service Delivery Unit (SDU) Program in the Upper West Region of Ghana, which provides a service of regenerative agriculture to smallholder farmers in Sissala East, Sissala West, Wa East, and its surroundings;
- Take ownership of a team of private extension officers (our ‘Farmer Connectors’) and regularly monitor and evaluate their performance;
- Roll out the customer acquisition strategy to grow our farmer network over the next Years;
- Coordinate the team to deliver services to farmers (incl. inputs and mechanization) and the aggregation of produce from farmers;
- Establish good relationships with community leaders and farmers;
- Work closely with the SDU Manager to implement Warc’s extension methodology and adapt it to farmers with different years of experience;
- Implement SDU farmers’ training plan, including planning weekly meetings with farmers, and train our Farmer Connectors to deliver the content to farmers:
- Implement SDU farmer’s training plan, including planning weekly meetings with farmers, and train our Farmer Connectors to deliver the content to farmers;
- Report key metrics and targets regularly and support data collection for monitoring and impact measurement activities;
Warc is excited to have a driven, talented, and hardworking person join our team. We can teach many of the technical skills, but it is very important for the person to have a strong interest in customer acquisition and business growth, technology, agriculture, and rural development in order to succeed in this role.
A suitable candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Willingness to work in a start-up environment – the ability to see what problem needs to be solved, and be the one to make it happen
- Must have at least 3 to 5 years of experience
- Belief in business approaches to development (essential!)
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Attention to detail and identifying improvement areas
- Team player
- Speaks fluent English & Twi (other languages spoken in Upper West is a plus)
- Work experience in the Upper West region is a plus
- Flexibility and ability to work without constant supervision
- The drive, confidence, and creativity to get the job done
- Experience or interest in working in a highly cross-cultural environment
- Ability to live in remote areas and drive a motorcycle
Applications are being accepted until 15th June 2022 or until the position is filled. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply. Please apply below: