We work to get farmers out of poverty. That’s our dream. We want to see Africa feeding the world in our lifetimes and its farmers to become the guardians of one of humanity’s most precious resource: the soils. We design and sell regenerative farming inputs as a service. With this, farmers are able to grow exponentially their incomes, improve their quality of life and develop a stronger tie to their lands. We worked with a thousand farmers and generated a very solid proof of concept. Now we aim high- we want one million farmers adopting our services within a decade.
Warc has humble beginnings. We did not learn how to run a business from a book; we have real, tangible experience. Warc’s revenue has grown 50x over the last 4 years and our goal is to triple it within the next 18 months. We began with a $30,000 investment from our founders and rapidly scaled up to raising over $5,000,000 in equity, debt and grants from angel, government and institutional investors.
Warc’s story started in Sierra Leone, but we’ve rapidly established ourselves in Ghana, and continue to grow. We’re more than 50 people in Ghana, representing 14 different nationalities, managing two production areas in Bono East Region and in the Upper West Region. We operate across West Africa, with established agricultural production, service delivery, market linkages and consulting operations in Sierra Leone and Ghana. In the next decade, we ambition to be present across West Africa. Help us do it!!
About the Job
Great candidates want to make an impact, and they don’t shy away from challenges! Our Service Delivery Unit (SDU) Program – the heart of the Warc business model – needs you to lead our every growing team and operations in the Upper West Region. Established in 2021, we have seen the high potential for growth in the area. Now we want you to get out there to lead and build the team further, manage our farmer network, oversee the operational field activities, and play a key role in shaping the future of the program in this next growth phase around the region.
This role is specifically for an SDU Manager to be based in our project location in Tumu, in the Upper West Region. You will work directly with our Chief of Party, and have the support of Warc’s senior management. You will lead a team of network coordinators and farmer connectors. You’ll get to spend your days between the office, fields and its neighbouring communities.
The main responsibilities of the SDU Manager include:
- Manage our Service Delivery Unit (SDU) in the Upper West Region of Ghana which sells and delivers bundles of high quality regenerative agricultural inputs and service to smallholder farmers in Tumu and its surroundings;
- Implement our growth strategy to support more SDU clients over the next years and expand to new areas;
- Design of the input and mechanization service bundles provided to farmers;
- Lead our team of network coordinators, farmer connectors and junior agronomists including hiring new staff and preparing them to become the role leaders of the next years;
- Execute Warc’s extension methodology and adapt it to farmers with different years of experience;
- Design and implement SDU client’s training plan, including planning weekly meetings with farmers, creating content and training farmer connectors to deliver the content to farmers;
- Report Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and other project targets/reporting on a weekly basis, and write technical reports about developed activities; 8. Work closely with operations and finance to implement daily activities; 9. Oversee research and development including demonstration plots and trials
Warc is excited to have a driven, talented, and hardworking person join our team. We can teach many of the technical skills, but it is very important for the person to have a strong interest in customer acquisition and business growth, technology, agriculture, and rural development in order to succeed in this role. A suitable candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Willingness to work in a start-up environment – The ability to see what problem needs to be solved, and being the one to make it happen
- Relevant academic study + 5 years of experience as an agronomist and/or in farm management, and preferably with agricultural/development experience in Africa
- Strong background in regenerative agriculture and managing farm activities – including people (essential!)
- Experience in teaching agronomy to others (preferably)
- Belief in business approaches to development (essential!)
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Speaks fluent English
- Flexibility and ability to work without constant supervision – The drive, confidence, and creativity to get the job done
- Experience or interest in working in a highly cross-cultural environment • Ability to live in remote areas and drive a motorcycle
Applications are being accepted until 30th June, 2022 or until a suitable candidate is found. Female applicants highly encouraged to apply. Please apply below: