We work to get farmers out of poverty. That’s our dream. We want to see Africa feeding the world in our lifetimes and its farmers to become the guardians of one of humanity’s most precious resource: the soils. We design and sell regenerative farming inputs as a service. With this, farmers are able to grow exponentially their incomes, improve their quality of life and develop a stronger tie to their lands. We worked with a thousand farmers and generated a very solid proof of concept. Now we aim high- we want one million farmers adopting our services within a decade.
Warc has humble beginnings. We did not learn how to run a business from a book; we have real, tangible experience. Warc’s revenue has grown 50x over the last 4 years and our goal is to triple it within the next 18 months. We began with a $30,000 investment from our founders and rapidly scaled up to raising over $5,000,000 in equity, debt and grants from angel, government and institutional investors.
Warc’s story started in Sierra Leone, but we’ve rapidly established ourselves in Ghana, and continue to grow. We’re more than 50 people in Ghana, representing 14 different nationalities, managing two production areas in Bono East Region and in the Upper West Region. We operate across West Africa, with established agricultural production, service delivery, market linkages and consulting operations in Sierra Leone and Ghana. In the next decade, we ambition to be present across West Africa. Help us do it!!
About the Job
Great candidates want to make an impact, and they don’t shy away from challenges! Our Service Delivery Unit (SDU) Program – the heart of the Warc business model – needs you to accelerate our growth in the Upper West Region. We want you to get out there and spend time with our most important customers – the farmers – and refine how we deliver agricultural best practice advice and manage supply chains to improve productivity and generate incomes. The growth of Warc’s business and rapid scale will be a direct result of your efforts. We’re aiming to go from 2,000 farmers to 20,000 in the next 18 months.
This role is specifically for a Customer Growth Manager to be based in our project location in Tumu, in the Upper West Region. You will work directly with our Chief of Party, our SDU Manager, and our Managing Director. You get to spend your days learning from our customers – the farmers – to understand how Warc can best solve their pain points and thinking through and trying new strategies. You’ll get to spend your days between the office, fields and its neighbouring communities. Your work will be focused on the growth of the SDU program and ensuring its alignment to Warc’s mission.
The main responsibilities of the SDU Manager include:
- Develop and validate growth ideas and strategies of our customer acquisition to grow our SDU Client network from 2,000 to 20,000 over the next years and expand to new areas;
- Work closely with the Chief of Party, Warc’s senior management and SDU Manager to design and test new scale mechanisms and replication models
- Undertake customer and market research to gain an understanding of farmer needs and wants and inform the design of Warc’s delivery model on inputs and advice;
- Build an overview of the outwards supply chain challenges and bottlenecks to inform on growth areas for Warc in improving its market linkages offering;
- Report Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and other project targets/reporting
- Work closely with Warc’s M&E Analyst to assess impact, incl. support data collection for monitoring and impact measurement activities;
on a weekly basis, and write practical reports and instructions on how to implement and grow our SDU;
Warc is excited to have a driven, talented, and hardworking person join our team. We can teach many of the technical skills, but it is very important for the person to have a strong interest in customer acquisition and business growth, technology, agriculture, and rural development in order to succeed in this role. A suitable candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Willingness to work in a start-up environment – The ability to see what problem needs to be solved, and being the one to make it happen
- Relevant academic study + 3-5 years of experience as a management or business consultant, and preferably with agricultural/development experience in Africa
- Belief in business approaches to development (essential!)
- Ability to dig deep in customer and market research and gain understandings that inform strategy
- Strong in customer acquisition and growth marketing and scaling • Good interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Speaks fluent English
- Flexibility and ability to work without constant supervision – The drive, confidence, and creativity to get the job done
- Experience or interest in working in a highly cross-cultural environment
- Ability to live in remote areas and drive a motorcycle (or happy to learn)
Applications are being accepted until 30th June, 2022 or until a suitable candidate is found. Female applicants highly encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter and CV in English to email@example.com. Expected start date as soon as possible after hiring.